Prevent minor problems from becoming BIG ones!
Every homeowner knows that regular maintenance is required to keep your home looking it’s best. At least once a year, set aside a few days to make minor repairs and hire a professional to help with the rest. Common room-by-room checkpoints:
- Make sure the water filter in the refrigerator has been changed recently
- Test drawers to make sure they slide properly
- Test all burners on the stove
- Make sure you know where the fire extinguisher is (and how to operate it) in case of an emergency
- Repair any cracked tiles or leaks from the faucets or toilets
- Examine vents for clogs and take a look at piping under all the sinks for signs of corrosion or leaks
- Make sure that the garage door(s) work properly.
- Tidy up dangerous tools and chemicals to keep them out of children’s reach
- Check the attic for signs of a leaky roof, damp spots on insulation, and signs of animal activity
- Check the washer and dryer hoses and connections for signs of excessive wear and tear. It might be time to replace them!
- Test all CO2 and smoke detectors and replace batteries
- Check doors for sticking
- Check for loose knobs and handles
- Check walls and floors for any nail pops
- Make sure the ceiling fans are secure! All the jiggling from use tends to loosen them over time.
- Check all outlets using an electrical tester (or lamp) to make sure they all work.
- Make sure all return air filters have been changed recently.
Making sure your home is in good working order is a smart move and can save you hundreds -- or even thousands -- of dollars over time (not to mention the stress of an emergency repair!) Protect your investment and check your home annually.