Living in the digital age means that the world is at our fingertips. We can book a vacation, order dinner, buy a new couch, all without ever interacting with another person. While someone can search for a home on their phone, the actual process of buying or selling still needs that Realtor touch. Let’s talk about the ways you can use technology to let your personality shine through text message marketing!
Building a business is not for the faint of heart. The hours are long, the payoff never comes as quickly as you want it to, and it’s all networking, all the time. Using text messaging to market and build your business is an easy way to connect with clients, without adding too much stress to your already busy work life.
Here are some reasons text message marketing is so useful for a Realtor:
- Open rates: People are much more likely to open a text message over an email. In fact, 90% of text messages are opened within 15 minutes of receiving them. Not to mention, there’s no chance of them ending up in a junk or spam folder!
- Enhances other marketing: The beauty of text message marketing is that it allows you to add in links and videos as well! The ability to combine other types of digital marketing materials to your text messages helps to ensure your potential clients are seeing everything you find beneficial and important to them.
- Affordability: Compared to many marketing programs, choosing an SMS messaging service tends to be the most budget friendly. It gives you customizable marketing to a large client base at a minimal price. What could be better?
- Universal usability: We all spend our days texting, which means we all know how to text. Therefore, you aren’t spending valuable time learning a new online marketing platform, and your clients will easily be able to interact with you.
- Personalization: Text messaging is more personal than an email. We think of emails as business, and text messages as friendly. This automatically triggers an emotional response in people. Not only is text message marketing a more personal experience for a client, but it can also be more customized for a particular client. It also allows the client to ask questions they normally wouldn’t over email or on the phone, because it feels more natural.
Now that we know the ways that text message marketing will benefit your business, let’s talk about the best way to utilize this technology:
- Schedule appointments: Using your text message marketing to schedule appointments to show homes and meet with clients will allow you to streamline the process. You can immediately add the times to your calendar and remind clients of upcoming appointments they may have forgotten.
- Follow leads: We know time is of the essence when it comes to being a Realtor. Use text messaging to capture new leads and foster your current client relationships.
Check out this easy script for a new lead: “Hi, (insert client name)! We are so excited you’ve decided to buy your first home. We know it can be overwhelming, so let us do the hard work. Reply SHOW ME to see all the available homes in your area.”
- Automate: Many text messaging systems allow you to set up responses for specific situations. Based on keywords, this will allow you to get the information your clients need to them in a quick manner, without having to personally do the work!
Here’s a simple but effective automated script: “Houses are going well above asking price in your area! Reply SELL NOW to see how we can help you get more for your home.” This can go out to all of the sellers and potential sellers in your mobile network with the click of a button!
- Reconnect: Text messaging is a simple and light way to reconnect with clients who have paused or leads that have cooled off. It will let you reach out and check in without overwhelming the client, giving them the opportunity to engage with you without any pressure.
Here’s a great example script for reconnecting with a potential client: “Hi, Andrew! I remember you loved the property at 123 Oak Street last fall. I found a few properties in your price range that are very similar! Reply YES to see the listings.”
We’ve discussed why you should use text message marketing to build your business and how to do so well, but we haven’t talked about the legalities of text message marketing. These aren’t too difficult to follow, but they are important!
Make sure that your clients/leads/subscribers are opting in to receiving your text messages. This is incredibly important. On the same note, see to it there is an opt-out option and respect your clients when they choose to opt-out. Remember, you must fulfill someone’s request to opt-out within 10 days.
Here’s an easy opt-out script you can use: “If you no longer wish to receive these messages, reply STOP.” Simple as that! We recommend realtors put this at the end of every solicitation text sent out.
Also, verify that your audience has access to the terms and conditions of your text messages via your website or on the opt-in page. Finally, confirmation messages are your friend! This allows people to understand what they’re opting into and get an overview of what you’ll be sending them. One last note on this: don’t forget to follow the hours of operation law! Texting from a business is only allowed between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
Privacy is paramount: The laws we’ve covered have been put in place to help both Realtors and clients feel safe. Part of that safety is respecting the privacy of your leads and clients. Privacy laws allow businesses to contact people who opt-in but keeps their information safe. That means you cannot sell their information. This also requires you to state who you are and what you do clearly, allowing complete transparency with the person receiving texts.
Now that we’ve covered all the basics, as well as compliance guidelines, let’s get to work! Here are some more example scripts a Realtor can use when reaching out to different types of clients.
New Lead Sample Text Scripts:
- “Hi, (lead name)! It’s Sarah from _____ Realty. I received your contact information after hearing about your recent home search. I wanted to reach out and introduce myself, and see what it is you’re looking for! Would text message be best for you to continue talking or would you prefer to set up a call?”
- “Hello! What did you think of 123 Oak Street? I hope you liked it! Here’s some more information on that property: (insert link).”
Current Client Sample Text Scripts:
- “Hi, (client name)! I’ve found three new listings that fit your homebuying criteria. Here are the links to check them out. Let me know if you’d like to set up a time to go see them!”
- “Hi, (client name)! Just a quick reminder that we have a phone call scheduled at 4 p.m. on Friday, June 4th to discuss your budget. Please respond “C” to confirm or “R” to reschedule the time or date of our call. Thanks!”
- “Good morning! Here is the weekly update on your listing: You have two showings on Wednesday at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., and an Open House on Saturday from 12 p.m.-4 p.m. Feel free to reach out with any questions, and here’s a link to the Open House Checklist we use!”
Client Re-engagement Sample Text Scripts:
- “Hi, (client/former client name)! I hope things are going well. I know you put buying a new home on pause, but there are a few listings you liked that have dropped in price, and a couple new listings I think you’ll love. (insert the link) Let me know if you want more information!”
- “Good afternoon, (client name)! It’s been a few months since we last talked, and I wanted to touch base. and see if you were still interested in selling your property in (insert town)? If so, I’d be happy to chat more about current pricing trends in your area for sellers. Let me know!”
Here are some vendors in the text message marketing world that may be beneficial to you as a Realtor building their business:
There are many options out there when it comes to SMS messaging, and we highly recommend doing research on what will be best for your business and finances before committing to working with one.
As you can see, SMS marketing opens many doors to building your business as a Realtor. From efficiency to generating new leads to maintaining trust and open communication with clients, text messaging can be a fantastic tool.
The same goes with a client’s mortgage lender. Trust and open communication are trademarks here at Churchill Mortgage. We believe in putting people before profit, 100% of the time. Connect with us to learn more!